No subject is more fraught with anxiety for the high school senior than the essay on the college application. Whether it is as bizarre as the University of Chicago's "How do you feel about Wednesday?"; University of Pennsylvania's "You have just completed your 300-page autobiography. Please submit page 217."; or Tufts University's "Are We Alone?"â€”or whether it is a more mundane question about a formative experience you've had in steps on writing a essay MacDuffie School,
your life, or about some controversial social or political issue, students tremble at the very thought of writing the essay and being judged on it.
Get updates from U.S. News, including newsletters, rankings announcements, new features and special offers.
We wondered what tips could be offered to ease the pain. For advice, we turned to visiting blogger Jonathan Reider, director of college counseling at San Francisco University High School, who before that was the senior associate director of admissions (and humanities instructor) at Stanford University.
He should know; he's been on both sides of the high school/college door. Here are his 10 best tips.
1. Be concise. Even though the Common Application main essay has only write a conclusion for an essay brooke house college
a suggested minimum of 250 words, and no upper limit, every admissions officer has a big stack to read every day; he or she expects to spend only a couple of minutes on the essay. Persuasive writing pieces DLD College London.
If you go over 700 words, you are straining their patience, which no one should want to do.
2. steps on writing a essay MacDuffie School.
Be honest. Don't embellish your achievements, titles, and offices. It's just fine to be the copy editor of the newspaper or the persuasive writing pieces dld college london
treasurer of the Green Club, instead of write a conclusion for an essay brooke house college,
the president. Not everyone has to be the star at undergraduate coursework justin-siena high school
everything. steps on writing a essay MacDuffie School.
You will feel better if you don't strain to inflate yourself.
3. Be an individual. In writing the essay, ask yourself, "How can I distinguish myself from those thousands of others applying to College X whom I don't knowâ€”and even the ones I do know?" It's not in your activities or interests. If you're going straight from high school to how to write an essay 10 easy steps st. michael's school
college, you're just a teenager, doing teenage things. It is your mind and how it works that are distinctive. How do you think? Sure, that's hard to explain, but that's the how to write research articles hult international business school
key to the whole exercise.
4. Be coherent. Obviously, you don't want to babble, but I mean write about just one subject at how to write research articles hult international business school
a time. steps on writing a essay MacDuffie School.
Don't try to write a conclusion for an essay brooke house college
cover everything in an essay. Doing so can make you sound busy, but at the same time, scattered and superficial. The whole application is a series of steps on writing a essay MacDuffie School,
snapshots of what you do. It is inevitably incomplete. The colleges expect this. Go along with them.
5. Be accurate. How to write a review of a review Bodwell High School.
I don't mean just use spell check (that goes without saying). Attend to the other mechanics of good writing, including conventional punctuation in the undergraduate coursework justin-siena high school
use of commas, semi-colons, etc. If you are writing about Dickens, don't say he wrote Wuthering Heights. If you write about Nietzsche, spell his name right.
6. Be vivid. A good essay is persuasive writing pieces dld college london,
often compared to a story: In many cases it's an anecdote of an important moment. Provide some details to steps on writing a essay MacDuffie School
help the reader see the steps on writing a essay MacDuffie School
setting. Use the steps on writing a essay MacDuffie School
names (or invent them) for the other people in the story, including your brother, teacher, or coach. Undergraduate coursework Justin-Siena High School.
This makes it all more human and humane. It also shows the reader that you are thinking about his or her appreciation of your writing, which is something you'll surely want to do.
7. Be likable. steps on writing a essay MacDuffie School.
Colleges see themselves as communities, where people have to get along with others, in dorms, classes, etc. Are you someone they would like to have dinner with, hang out how to write research articles hult international business school
with, have in a discussion section? Think, "How can I communicate this without just standing up and saying it, which is corny." Subtlety is good.
8. Be cautious in your use of humor. You never know how someone you don't know is going to respond to you, especially if you offer something humorous. Humor is always in the eye of the beholder. Be funny only if you think you have to. Then think again.
9. Be controversial (if you can). So many kids write bland essays that don't take a stand on anything. It is fine to undergraduate coursework justin-siena high school
write about politics, religion, something serious, as long as you are balanced and thoughtful. Don't pretend you have the final truth. And don't just get up on your soapbox and spout off on a sensitive subject; instead, give reasons and arguments for how to write an essay about my life king’s ely
your view and consider other perspectives (if appropriate). Colleges are places for the discussion of how to write research articles hult international business school,
ideas, and steps on writing a essay MacDuffie School,
admissions officers look for diversity of mind.
10. Be smart. Colleges are intellectual places, a fact they almost always keep a secret when they talk about their dorms, climbing walls, and how many sports you can play. It is steps on writing a essay MacDuffie School,
helpful to show your intellectual vitality. What turns your mind on? This is not the same thing as declaring an intended major; what matters is steps on writing a essay MacDuffie School,
why that subject interests you.
Â© Copyright 2010 Professors' Guide LLC. All rights reserved.